The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

Rivalry reunited: on and off the court

Soph
After losing the first set the Falcons huddle-up to discuss their game plan for the vigorous sets to come.

The tension between the Falcon’s and Maple Leaf’s sports programs has been high for years. It’s no secret that Groves and Seaholm have had an ongoing rivalry for decades. However, the volleyball rivalry is especially tense. This past Tuesday, both school volleyball teams fought hard in a five-set game, down to the very last point.

Excitement flooding through the Falcon’s faces after a winning point. (Sophie Piotrowicz)

The back-and-forth game brought on lively student sections, yelling at every player’s serve. With the advantage of playing on their home court, Seaholm’s student section dominated Groves’. Chants echoed the gym, meeting the ears of Groves’ players.

Last year, the rivalry between Groves and Seaholm’s volleyball teams reached a peak. Controversy flooded the courts of last year’s game, preventing either team from playing. This delay caused this year’s game to hold much more meaning and competitiveness from both sides. 

While Groves’ players worked their hardest, winning the second and fourth set, Seaholm finished on top in the last set with a score of 15 – 13. 

“After the game, everyone was really disappointed because we fought so hard for a win and lost, but we’re all extremely proud of how we played,” said Adi Gerken.

Not only are the upperclassmen talented, but Groves’ team has depth to their roster. Sophomores: Margaux Nollet, Molly Heller, and Jacey Roy have early experience on varsity to help lead their team in the upcoming years.

“We’re going to use this game to push us harder throughout the season and help us continue to get better as a team,”  said Alexis Heller.

Captains Alexis Heller and Adi Gerken wishing each other luck as they swap spots. (Sophie Piotrowicz)

Groves fought hard in this year’s game and will continue to do so throughout the rest of the season. Next year the Falcons will be back and ready to play Seaholm once again. With their determination, hard work, and new players, Groves will return to the court and be ready to face the Maple Leafs.