The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

10 things I learned from the Scriptor

Lilia Chung
The Scriptor staffers at the 2024 prom.

It is never too late in your high school career to join something new. 

As a senior, it’s easy to shy away from joining new clubs and activities. However, I decided to take a risk and I took journalism. Within the newsroom I have expanded my knowledge and creativity immensely. I feel as if I have been a part of journalism for four years, although it’s been one. I am so thankful I took a chance on journalism and a chance on myself! You really only stop “gaining” when you stop putting yourself out there for new experiences. 

You can make ANYTHING a great article 

My friend, copy editor and editor in chief, Erika Rice, has previously written about whether or not aliens  are real. She took almost an entire trimester collecting evidence and data for this article. While to many this may sound simple or silly, it made for one of the Scriptor’s best pieces. And believe it or not, just weeks later, the United States government confirmed Erika’s conspiracies! 

Hard work does pay off!!

In the journalism room I started as a writer, but I worked hard to prove myself as a trustworthy member of the staff who came with creative ideas and pieces. Because of this, I became an editor and I got to work with other people to ensure they had fantastic pieces. It is important to push yourself to your fullest potential and great opportunities will arise! 

Do not let fear of “not being good enough” stand in the way

I am one to doubt myself often. I question my ability to be a good writer and often question if my writing is “good enough”. In journalism, I learned that when I write my authentic truths, it is good writing. It is the fear of not being good enough that prevents you from being good enough. 

When you do something you love you are surrounded by people with the same interest and therefore find great friendship. 

One of the best ways to make new friends is doing something you love! We all share a unique and specific love for writing, and therefore the connections we build start so organically and grow so strong! 

A positive advisor makes ALL the difference

Mrs Reed-Nordwall, our advisor, is so supportive of everything done in the newsroom. She even supports our “out of the box” ideas. This philosophy allows for her students to explore various topics and investigate topics which interest them. She greets us with smiles daily, which makes the overall flow of the newsroom filled with passion and good vibes. 

Writing rules hold importance 

I am not one of the most structured writers; I tend to just write where my heart leads me and then I keep going! In the journalism room I have learned journalism specific rules and I have learned writing rules. Understanding the rules of writing is so essential for any future speech, writing piece and even career in the future .

It never hurts to have another person edited/read your article 

It is easy to want to “do it all yourself”. You have a vision for your own article. However, collaborating with another person never hurts. In writing, it is so easy to make mistakes, and there is always room for improvement. The peer review system placed in the Scriptor allows for all pieces to reach a higher potential. 

Building communities is so important 

Community is so important. We begin each class day with a question of the day, and often these questions lead into conversations. The connections built translate into the high quality articles we write and publish. 

I will miss the Scriptor so much!

While I am going to be a journalism major at Syracuse University-Newhouse, I am setting aside the pens and paper here at the Groves Scriptor. Despite my immense sadness to finish out this final paragraph and say goodbye to my Scriptor career, I know I will forever take the lessons I learned here and apply them to my journalism career and all of my future endeavors.