The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

Groves grand slam: the lads make the trek to Grand Rapids

Groves men’s tennis is one of the most successful sports teams within Groves in the last 10 years— winning states two years prior, and even winning regionals before that. There is no doubt that the Groves men’s tennis team has success, but on top of this they also have experience. 

With states this year happening Friday, October 20 through Sunday, October 23, the Groves men’s tennis team had success throughout the tournament. However, they came short, placing only two places off of the podium at fifth place in this year’s division two men’s tennis state tournament.

Groves’ first seeded doubles had gone into last weekend on a hot streak, winning 13 matches prior. However, this duo— of four year varsity player and team captain Jake Rosenwasser and three year varsity player and team captain Spencer Goldberg— came up short, losing in the semi-finals to Mattawan High School. 

When asked his opinion on the semi-final match, Jake Rosenwasser replied “I’m just not satisfied, I feel as if that game could have been won if it were played on an outdoor court.” He also said their players had an incredibly fast serve. “I feel as if we would have made it past them, the finals would have been a cake walk.

Four year varsity player and captain Jake Rossenwasser practices his serve before his match. (Anthony Gaggos)

Going down the stacked Groves doubles roster, the assassin-like number three doubles (senior Nathan Lucken and junior Benji Cook) took down every single opponent they faced, bringing home the state title for three doubles champions. When doubles partner Nathan Lucken was asked what his thoughts were going into this tournament, he actually credited his success to none other than motivational speaker David Goggins.  “You know, before heading into last weekend, all I could think about was how David Goggins used to be 300 pounds and overweight. In order to accomplish his dream of becoming a Navy SEAL, he lost over 100 pounds in three months, and ran 40-100 miles every single day.” Lucken stated that he sees joining Groves tennis in his junior year was basically the same accomplishment. “Winning states when considered an underdog? I just know Goggins would be smiling if he were here right now.”

State champion Nathan Lucken returns serve in heated three doubles match. (Angela Guenther)

When Katie Lucken, Nathan Lucken’s tennis obsessed sister, was asked about Nathan’s win, she stated: “I just love the kid, and love the game. I streamed every game on Instagram Live. That’s just how much this game means to me! To see my little brother succeed like this in front of this giant stage, it was just a proud family moment.” After the adversity Nathan has gone through with the recent loss of his pet chicken Wolverine, one might say this was an understatement of his success.

Away from the doubles, Groves men’s tennis struggled to find a footing on the singles side. Led by International Academy students Aarshan Bastani and Micheal Liss, the Groves men’s tennis team seemed to lack the support they had in years prior. One could equate this to the loss of the legendary “Kovan family tree,” who had two dominant Groves men’s tennis singles players, with none other than Nolan Kovan who drove Groves to the state championship two years ago. Nolan now serves as the men’s tennis assistant at University of Arizona— a feat that has not been achieved by any other Groves alumni in the history of the program. 

Although the Groves men’s tennis team fell short from earning the title of state champions this year, they look to bounce back next year.  The team is hopeful to add some key players to fill the much lacking singles roster, and hope to build the new doubles roster around returning state champ Benji Cook.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Groves Scriptor

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wylie E. Groves High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.