The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department”: Breaking Records and Hearts

Universal Music Group
“The Tortured Poets Department” album cover

Taylor Swift’s latest album, titled “The Tortured Poets Department”- commonly nicknamed TTPD- has made waves in the music scene, showcasing her yet again as a top-tier artist. Released just last month, this highly anticipated album has not only won over fans worldwide, but has also broken numerous records cementing Swift’s status as a powerhouse in the music business.

Since the announcement of “The Tortured Poets Department,” excitement has been at an all-time high, and fans eagerly awaited new music since her precious album, “Midnights,” released in 2022. She announced her new album at the 65th annual Grammys when she won her 13th Grammy- a special nod to her lucky number, 13.

The album was released on April 19th, and there was a big surprise for fans in store. At midnight, Swift announced that the album was actually a double album, and there would be 15 more songs added to it, making the album a whopping 31 songs. She called this new album “The Tortured Poets Department: The Anthology”. 

The album is a fusion of storytelling and emotion, highlighting Swift’s growth as both a musician and a lyricist. Songs like “I Can Do It with a Broken Heart” and “loml” explore themes of love, loss, and strength, taking listeners on an emotional rollercoaster.

But, it’s not just the lyrical depth of “The Tortured Poets Department” that has captured the attention of fans and critics alike. The album’s exceptional accomplishments are evident in its success. In one week after its release, it skyrocketed to the number one spot on the Billboard 200 chart, establishing Taylor Swift as the first artist ever to achieve eight consecutive albums debuting at the top position.

Furthermore, within hours of its release, Swift’s album received millions of streams, shattering previous records for streaming volume. Swift’s fame as a cultural icon was cemented when songs from “The Tortured Poets Department” were all in the top 30 most streamed songs, with certain songs taking over the entire top 10.

The impact of “The Tortured Poets Department” on Swift’s devoted fan base, however, may be the most noteworthy feature. Dedicated “Swifties” (Taylor Swift super fans) analyze the album’s lyrics and offer their own personal interpretations of what they mean. There is never just one right answer, and this allows for so many more people to resonate with the music. “The Tortured Poets Department” is just one more example of the unique connection that Swift has always had with her fans.

While Swift relishes the success of “The Tortured Poets Department,” fans can only wonder what lies ahead for the prolific musician. However, one thing is for sure: Taylor Swift’s dominance of the music business is unstoppable. She keeps pushing the envelope of innovation and creativity with every new release, solidifying her place among the greatest artists of all time.

“The Tortured Poets Department” is not just an album: it’s a cultural phenomenon. With its record-breaking success and emotional resonance, Taylor Swift has once again proven why she is truly in a league of her own.

The Tortured Poets Department: The Anthology Tracklist

1 Fortnight (Ft. Post Malone)

2 The Tortured Poets Department 

3 My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys 

4 Down Bad 

5 So Long, London 

6 But Daddy I Love Him 

7 Fresh Out The Slammer 

8 Florida!!! (Ft. Florence + the Machine) 

9 Guilty as Sin? 

10 Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me?

11 I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)

12 ‎loml 

13 I Can Do It With A Broken Heart 

14 The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived

15 The Alchemy 

16 Clara Bow 

17The Black Dog

18 ​​imgonnagetyouback 

19The Albatross

20 Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus

21 How Did It End?

22 So High School

23 I Hate It Here 

24 ​​thanK you aIMee 

25 I Look in People’s Windows 

26 The Prophecy

27 Cassandra 

28 Peter 

29 The Bolter

30 Robin

31The Manuscript