The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

New courses for the 2024-2025 school year

As the 2023-2024 school year comes to a close, it’s time to begin looking at next year. With the upcoming change to semesters for the 2024-2025 school year, comes new course options for students. Some of these courses include new English 12A courses: Sports, Literature and Rhetoric, Philosophy and Literature; new AP courses: AP African American Studies and AP Seminar through Excel 10; and a Computer Applications course. 

Three of the new courses come through the English department; two for seniors and one for sophomores. The English 12A course Sports, Literature and Rhetoric is a 9 week (quarter long) course that counts toward one of the two required 12A courses for seniors. The course will apply literature and rhetoric into the sports media world by analyzing how recent reporting and analyzing is affecting the world of sports. The goal of the course is to help students think critically about issues in sports. The other new English 12A course is Philosophy & Literature, which is also a 9 week course that seniors have the option of taking. This course outlines the intersection between philosophy and literature through engaging with philosophical texts in relation to various pieces of literature. Additionally, sophomores now have the opportunity to earn AP Seminar credits through taking Excel 10. This course will help students develop their teamwork, research, and innovation skills while also earning sophomore year english and history credits.

Students who may be interested in learning more about the culture of themselves or their peers will now have the option to take AP African American Studies. This is a year-long course that will evaluate the African American experience, from early challenges to current ones. Students will explore topics that range from historical Black experiences and debates, to African migration in the past and present. However, this course will only be available for seniors to take.

The last new class offered will be Computer Applications. Similar to the previous course, Computer Tech, Computer Applications will cover Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access. Completion of the course will allow students to have the opportunity to pass Microsoft Office industry certifications to help improve their professional credentials. This course is open to students of all grades, and can be taken for .5 credit hours (one semester). 

Students who may be interested in taking these courses for the 2024-2025 school year can discuss with their counselor to determine if it will work into their schedule. These courses will fulfill requirements needed to graduate, but these specific courses are not needed in order to receive a diploma.