The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

Love yourz

Love+yourz

When asking students from Groves High School what their favorite movie or show that represents love was, I got a lot of the same type of answers. 

“‘The Notebook’, because Noah put so much effort into making her feel loved in the relationship,” junior Piper Benaim said. 

“‘The Notebook’, because I want to be in a relationship like Noah and Allie,” sophomore London Maddox said. 

“‘Love and Basketball’, because it represents a realistic romantic relationship,” senior Jerry Simpson said. 

Almost every time I asked, I was met with a movie or form of media that displays a romantic type of love. The question I asked was open ended, but seemed to have the same ending in most of my peers’ minds. Love is romantic, it’s a relationship where they call you theirs and you call them yours, it’s waiting and pining, and kissing between classes, it’s Friday date nights and planning your future together. Most everyone in high school is infatuated with the idea of romantic love. Teens want to find out what love is all about, open new doors and spend their time in all the new rooms— even if the time they spend there isn’t long. 

Many teens forget that they know love already. They’ve known it since they were born, since they were held in their parents arms, since their siblings shared their toys without getting mad, since their teachers told them they were a joy to have in class. All of us know love. Especially now though, we choose to ignore or push aside the love we already know to chase a type of love that provides us with infatuation and obsession, the kind of love that’s wanted by everyone but in reality is rarely held and obtained by people when they’re so young. 

Stop searching for something that is meant to find you, and start appreciating everything outside of the chase and obsession. To quote the romantic film “Love Actually”— “ If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is all around.”

Love and life is what you make it, so maybe It’s time to stop and smell the roses instead of chasing them, especially when those roses will be encased in plastic wrap and most likely cost no more than $10.99. Look for love in the little things you do for yourself, or someone else does for you everyday. The best kind of love is the love we are able to give ourselves, because out of everyone we know what we need most. You know your favorite snacks and you buy them whenever you’re feeling down, you dress in warm clothes so you don’t get sick, and you watch your favorite shows when you feel tired.

You have all you need within yourself, so slow down, pour love into yourself and all the things you love.