The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

How old is too old to trick-or-treat?

When it first started, Halloween was celebrated to signify the end of summer and welcome the harvest. Back then, people would go door to door, singing songs and pulling pranks. Farmers used turnips instead of pumpkins as jack-o’-lanterns and lit bonfires in celebration. Over the last few centuries, the tradition of Halloween has vastly changed. Now, instead of carving turnips and setting bonfires, we dress up and either go to costume parties or trick-or-treating. 

Traditions change over time, and so do people. Most kids trick-or-treat on Halloween. The excitement of going door to door collecting candy in an old pillow case just can’t be matched. However, as kids mature they start to feel that they are too old to trick-or-treat. In this article, we will crack the code on how old is too old to trick-or-treat according to the students at Groves High School.

When asking Groves senior Grace Raznick if she is planning to trick-or-treat this year, she replied, “I want to trick-or-treat this year, but I don’t think I will.” Grace went on to say that she reminisces about the fun times she had trick-or-treating when she was younger. However, this year she doubts her friends would go trick-or-treating with her, and without her friends Grace does not think she will have a good time. When asked what the maximum age to trick-or-treat is, Raznick stated, “Once you hit fifteen you are too old to trick-or-treat.”

Bret Russell, another senior at Groves High School, said, “Once you hit eighteen you’re too old to go trick-or-treating.” Russell stated, “I never liked trick-or-treating anyways because it always rains on Halloween.” Bret went on to talk about his shared tradition with his brother Jake of finding the biggest puddle possible to stomp in. After finding a big puddle, the two of them would get each other all wet.

Not many seniors in high school go trick-or-treating, so it is not surprising that Grace and Bret are not planning on going out. However, underclassmen are much more likely to trick-or-treat. Chelsea Willingham, a freshman at Groves High School, stated, “I’m definitely going trick-or-treating this year!” Willingham also gave her thoughts on how old is too old to trick-or-treat, “Somewhere in your mid twenties is too old to trick or treat.” Willingham said, “As a kid, I’ve passed out candy to people way older than me, so when I think of trick-or-treating I think of older kids.” 

All in all, Bret, Grace, and Chelsea have very different opinions on how old is too old to trick-or-treat.  Grace thinks that fifteen is too old, while Chelsea thinks you can trick-or-treat  through your twenties. If you’re reading this wondering if you are too old to trick-or-treat, just know everyone has different opinions. Thus, it does not matter the age, so if you want to trick-or-treat this Halloween, just do it!