The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

Goodbye to Groves Performing Arts Company— a chat with the seniors

GPAC
Groves Performing Arts Company showing ‘Chicago’.

As the seniors say farewell to the Groves Performing Arts Company, each one leaves behind memories and experiences. Brooke Reynolds has been a part of GPAC since her sophomore year.

“There are a lot of memories with GPAC, but singing along to the Mamma Mia soundtrack is my favorite memory,” Reynolds said. 

When asked to describe her bond with staff and underclassmen: “really strong, because I’m surrounded by everyone that shares the same passion for GPAC,” Reynolds said. She expressed mixed emotions about leaving, acknowledging the skills and communication she’s gained. While sad to depart, she looks forward to applying the abilities she learned in GPAC, and she is considering taking public speaking courses in college and possibly pursuing theater for fun.

Along with Reynolds, another senior saying goodbye to GPAC, Liam Snyder-Welbes, who has been in GPAC since his freshman year, remembers moments from his years in theater, “There are a lot of fun memories in GPAC but one of my favorites is kitty wants a corner, a fun game in Mr. Rutherford’s theater classes,” Snyder-Welbes said. 

Snyder-Welbes describes his bond with the teachers and underclassmen, “All the staff in GPAC is great, but I love Mr. Rutherford. He has been a mentor for me. Mr. Carpenter is always wonderful and everyone on the staff is fun, there were many older members who I am close with that have moved, and there are a few younger students I will miss,” Snyder-Welbes said. 

As the seniors are getting ready to leave their high school careers, Snyder-Welbes feels sentimental about the upcoming change, “I am going to miss GPAC, but I know it’s time, I knew it would be temporary, but it still hurts. It’s a bittersweet leaving. I will mostly miss Mr. Rutherford, a teacher you can’t find anywhere else,” Snyder-Welbes  said. 

He will not proceed to do theater in college, but he would like to do some plays or musicals in the future as he attends Depauw University.

The seniors in GPAC are getting ready to take their final bows, as they venture into the new world of college theatre.