The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

Olivia Rodrigo’s new album, “GUTS”

A high schooler’s guide to pop culture today
Olivia Rodrigo’s cover art for her newest album Guts, via Geffen Records (image is free use via https://www.gonetrending.com)

It doesn’t matter if your last breakup happened last week or if someone has stomped on your heart on their way out the door, 40 minutes of Olivia Rodrigo’s new album is a great form of relatable pop-punk-rock therapy.
Rodrigo’s first album, “Sour”, and now her second, “GUTS”, has helped cement her career as one of the most exciting and influential new artists in pop music today.
Rodrigo is also well known from her roles in several TV shows. Her most notable roles include her starring in Disney’s “Bizaardvark” and in “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”.
Her album “Sour” included 11 tracks, the most popular being the hit singles “drivers license”, “deja vu” and “Good 4 U”. The album has been praised by both her fans and tough critics.
Rodrigo’s adoring fans have been eagerly awaiting her new album drop ever since she released her first two singles over this past summer. The two songs include “vampire” and “bad idea right?”, which both have already gotten great reviews. Her first drop “Vampire” is currently her lead single and the track already has fans curious to know if the song was inspired by her relationship with her ex, Zack Bialobos.
With this new album appearing as one of the most euphoric pop moments of this year, I found it difficult to select my favorite part of it all. However, if I had to narrow it down to my top three, I would choose “all-american b—h “ as my number one, “vampire” as my second choice, and “making the bed “ as my third.
I really enjoyed the song “all-american b—h”; I feel as though it serves as a perfect opener for the album, just as the song “brutal” did on “Sour”.
The song “Vampire” reminded me of the song “drivers license” from her first album “Sour”, due to the fact that they both were truly show-stopping lead singles.
Thirdly, the song “making the bed” left me with a favorite line: “I got the things I wanted, it’s just not what I imagined”. I believe that this line helps us understand that this song, and the album overall, is an intertwining of the pressures of stardom and Rodrigo’s way of portraying her urge to break away from a known reality.
“GUTS”, released September 8, has been a real turning point in Rodrigo’s career as a pop star but also as a personal turning point in her life. In an interview with Rolling Stone, Rodrigo explained how her new album is based on a time in her life where she was prone to making mistakes and being awkward, as well as not knowing who she was and not knowing what she truly wanted. “Looking back, it was super uncomfortable when I was going through it but I think making mistakes and not doing everything perfectly is the only way to figure out who you are and how to grow and evolve,” she said.
Overall, Rodrigo’s new album has left fans with a new sense of strength and understanding that it is okay to not know who you are and what you want during your teenage years. Also, it’s okay to make mistakes, because that is how you grow and learn into a better version of yourself.
The inspirational messages of Rodrigo’s albums and the impact she has caused is a clear reason why she truly deserves her nomination for five awards at the MTV Video Music Awards, which took place September 12.
And now fresh off the 2023 MTV music awards, Olivia Rodrigo has announced a world tour for her new album. Her world tour is planned to kick off late February of next year.

Tracklist for Guts:

“all-american b—h”
“bad idea right?”
“vampire”
“lacy”
“ballad of a homeschooled girl”
“making the bed”
“logical”
“get him back!”
“love is embarrassing”
“the grudge”
“pretty isn’t pretty”
“teenage dream”