The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

I do not give the 10/10 rule a 10/10

Last week during Spanish class, I had to use the restroom eight minutes after class had begun. I politely asked my teacher and she gave me permission, as I am not one to roam the halls and certainly would not plan this bathroom break to miss instruction. As I opened the door to the bathroom I heard a voice from down the hallway. 

“You cannot use the restroom, 10/10 rule”, yelled one of the head security guards. 

Not only did this make me uncomfortable, but made me feel like I did not have a voice within the decisions regarding my own needs.

Groves High School has implemented various rules and policies over the years. While some have been considered questionable, we are now up against one of the most controversial rules of all time. Administration claims their approach on different issues at Groves are in the best interest of the Groves community, but with a recent new rule, many community members— including myself— are questioning their intentions. The rule in question is indeed the 10/10 rule. 

While flyers and posters are hanging in multiple locations around the Groves hallways and classrooms, they do not provide much context other than the simple saying “10/10”. The 10/10 rule states that no students should have the right to use the restroom 10 minutes after class begins or 10 minutes before class ends. 

Personally, I am appalled by this rule. In no way do I believe this rule was implemented in the best interest of our student’s happiness or safety. In total, this rule affects 100 minutes of the day, limiting student’s ability to choose when they need to use the restroom. While high school is supposed to prepare you for the real world, this rule does not imitate being a functioning adult in society. The closest thing seen to this rule is in prisons. This rule also includes students who are having an urgent bathroom matter. Whether or not a student chooses to use the restroom is a small piece of control that each person deserves, inside and outside of the Groves campus.

Administration argues that this rule is to keep the halls clear of students lurking around, but really this limits the majority of students who have to use the restroom. 

“I feel very limited when it comes to this new rule, because I don’t understand why they need to control the bathroom. We already have a pass system”, student Gabe Faber said. Faber brings up another valuable point: the fact that we already have systems in place, like bathroom passes to regulate hallways whereas the 10/10 rule feels very controlling.

While we must abide by the rules set in place by administration, if we inquire about the why behind it with those in charge of the rules and we express our dissatisfaction, we can use our voices to create a change that feels more positive for our environment.

View Comments (1)
    Donate to The Groves Scriptor

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wylie E. Groves High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.