The Student News Site of Wylie E. Groves High School

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

The Groves Scriptor

If only we knew

Among the current 100 members serving in the United States Senate, there are only eight African Americans. That is 8%. Among the current 435 members serving in the United States House of Representatives, there are only 59 African Americans. That is 13.5%. Among the current students attending my high school, 23.3% are African American. Among the 331.9 million American citizens, 41.6 million of them are African American. That is 14.4%.

To be a minority is to be set apart. To be a minority is to see so little of oneself in the white sea that surrounds, that one may begin to believe what history beats into them- that they, not the system, not history, are the problem. 

African Americans are extremely marginalized, but more so are African American women. Kamala Harris was the second of two African American women to ever serve in the senate. Overall, only 57 African American women have ever been elected into Congress. 

Black women are one of the most marginalized groups in America. Again, there are 331.9 million American citizens, and only 21.7 million of them are black women. That is 6.5%. 

Black women are heavily sexualized, fetishized, under heavy-laden stereotypes and are constantly underestimated and hated. And black girls- girls of color in general, rarely are awarded the sacred chance to see themselves in the world around them. 

Danai Gurira, a well known starring actress in the Black Panther franchise, stated, “I want women and girls of African descent and of color to be able to not have to keep searching for stories about themselves.” 

That seems to be all I have done in the duration of my life- search for myself in the world around me. Search for someone like me, someone to inspire me, to lead me in such a vast, wide world. Growing up, I was not in the shows that I watched. I was not in the Disney productions, I was not in the cartoons, I was not in the movies. Growing up in an absence of people like you brings mental side effects that cannot be broken away from- side effects that bury themselves into your psyche and make one doubt their self-worth simply because they’ve grown up around blonde, straight hair when theirs is dark and kinky. They grew up around pale skin while theirs is sun-sucking brown. They grew up around pale eyes, when theirs are dark and rich. 

This should not be so. 

It should not be that a black child has to search for herself in the world around her- images of herself must be showcased just as images of anybody and everybody else are showcased. During Black History Month, during Women’s Empowerment Month, black women should be highlighted just as much- if not more than our counterparts. The root and the purpose of these months are to highlight groups that have previously been marginalized, and the black woman is one of the most marginalized demographics. 

The first time I remember hearing about anybody like myself in politics was the election of 2020- When Joe Biden was elected with Kamala Harris, a black woman, as his vice president. Amanda Gorman, a young black woman, gave the inaugural poem at Biden & Harris’ inauguration. Gorman was the youngest inaugural poet Laureate, and my initial inspiration and the first ounce of proof I received- proof that I could excel, that I could use my words to make change just like anyone else could. 

But Amanda Gorman is not the only black poet- she is not the only black woman who used her beautiful words to influence the world. She is one of so, so many- but so many of those many are unknown, buried under the multitude of historical names. If only we knew. If only black girls were given chances to learn about themselves and their history and the accomplishments of their ancestors. 

Those girls who lack belief in themselves because everywhere they turn, they see the opposite of themselves would flourish under the knowledge that they have just as much potential and purpose as anyone else. 

So, because this month is Women’s History month, and next year, when Black History Month rolls around again, make a point to include black women in the mix of stories you showcase, so we can truly move on and away from history’s dark clutches and enter a brighter future, where little black girls can feel the same confidence that is spoon-fed to our opposites, and where equality is truly an attainable thing.